The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) is an association of the nation’s leading manufacturers of firearms, ammunition and components. SAAMI was founded in 1926 at the request of the federal government and tasked with:
- Creating and publishing industry standards for safety, interchangeability, reliability and quality
- Coordinating technical data
- Promoting safe and responsible firearms use
SAAMI Strategic Goals
1) Create and maintain technical standards for terminology, performance, interchangeability, and safety regarding firearms, ammunition, and their components.
2) Continually improve and share our expertise with foreign and domestic policy makers and strategic partners related to technical performance and safety regarding firearm and ammunition manufacturers’ issues.
3) Continually improve the forum by which members consider and analyze relevant internal and external standards and policies regarding firearms, ammunition, and their components.
4) Monitor, anticipate, and address new technologies, opportunities, challenges, and emerging trends impacting the mission of SAAMI.
5) Maintain and increase SAAMI’s standing as the foremost technical expert in our fields.
To create and promulgate technical, performance, interchangeability, and safety standards for firearms, ammunition, and components; and to be the preeminent global resource for the safe and responsible manufacturing, transportation, storage, and use of these products.